I'm loving the new generic Selector object, but I have been wondering
why the ReportDefinitionService doesn't use it.

As far as the documentation on selectable fields, I agree, it's not
easy to read at all. This is especially true when you try to select
fields for an Ad object and you have to know what ad type it is to
select the correct fields. There also could be better documentation
for the way the selectable fields are propagated up the class
hierarchy. Selecting a field from a certain Ad.Type is allowed, but
you have to know that the fields are selectable at the Ad level and
you don't need to qualify the enclosed Ad.Type when specifying these
fields. This is not documented anywhere.

I think a field availability matrix would be a better way to explain
how this works. Something like report types on one axis, then all
selectable field names for each major object class(campaign, adgroup,
ad) on the other, layered/segmented for enclosed types(text ad, mobile
ad, image ad).