Kevin, thanks for responding.

At this point, I wonder if there may be a bug in the adwords reports.
Please tell me if you agree.

I ran across
http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=145453&ctx=top5&src=top5
while trying to solve something unrelated.  I can see how reason #3
given there would explain why, generally speaking, it might be
possible to sometimes have a keyword on a given day that has a
conversion but no cost or clicks [to summarize: b/c the click(s) were
determined to be invalid clicks and removed].

For one of the three examples I gave, that seems plausible.  However,
I took your advice and looked in the adwords UI for this client,
looking at the keywords tab and limiting it to just the individual
days of interest.  For the occasion on 5/22/2011, the adwords UI
agrees and shows the conversion and matching conversion value, with 0
clicks and 0 cost.  However, for the 5/19/2011 and 6/4/2011 instances,
the adwords UI does not agree with the v201101 keyword performance and
search performance reports.  Both v201101 reports return that there
were 0 clicks and 0 cost for the given keywords on that day, yet a
conversion with some value, but the adwords UI agrees with the
conversion and its value, but list a click and associated cost.
Shouldn't the adwords UI and the reports agree?

Thanks,
Greg