Hi,
  Yes, we did make a formal announcement on the blog:
http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2011/10/adwords-api-v201109-launch-providing.html

Blog posts are automatically mailed out to the announcements list, which
you can subscribe to right on the homepage of the API documentation under
the How Do I Start section: http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/

The Developer Token being required in reports change was updated such that
the sandbox will require it in two weeks and production won't get it until
after the Thanksgiving holiday in the US (the Tuesday after, per this blog
post:
http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2011/11/update-developer-token-required-in.html).

 If you use a client library, your change will be as simple as upgrading
the version of the client library you use - we're fixing this in the
libraries for you.  If not, it should only be a few lines of code to add
this HTTP header (since there are other headers already required such as
AuthToken) and you can test this in the sandbox before the change goes to
production.

The change to report fields in this blog post (
http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2011/11/upcoming-change-in-slot-field-for.html)
was due to a change in the core product (AdWords).  This is something we
don't have a lot of control over and needed to update mid-release in order
to maintain parity.  After that change, the old values would not longer
make sense.

In most cases, such as when we release a new version, the sandbox will get
the changes at the same time as production and developer have a chance
(such as the v13 deprecation) to migrate to the new API while the old one
is deprecated.  For issues that change mid-release such as the change to
tokens being required for report downloads, we are making the change
visible in the sandbox prior to the production change.  As the update post
mentions, adding the header now, before the sandbox even gets the change,
is perfectly OK and will not break your code.

I think the most important takeaway is that we strongly encourage our
developers to subscribe to our blog as this is our primary channel for
communicating big changes (and the announcements list gets all the blog
posts).  In the past we have discovered that emailing developers does not
reach everyone (as people move jobs, companies change domain names, etc)
and have focused on our blog as our primary method of communications.

- Kevin Winter
AdWords API Team