Hi Pete,
  Thanks for the feedback.  The move from Targets to Criteria made
targeting for campaigns behave more similarly to targeting AdGroups using
Criteria.  I know that a common complaint of the old way of handling
targets that that incrementally adding a single Location was significantly
harder - you needed to obtain the existing list of targets, add the new one
and call SET rather than simply using an ADD (and the same for removing a
single target).  I agree that the new approach requires a shift in
thinking.  Can you elaborate on why specifically you think it will be more
difficult to maintain targets given that managing keywords already required
much of the same logic that Locations now need?

- Kevin Winter
AdWords API Team