OK,

changed:
  $user = new AdWordsUser();

to:
  $user = new AdWordsUser();
                $user->GetAuthToken();

and i was able to run it three times without a captcha, so that seemed
to do it... not to mention it runs faster now.

thank you all for your help, Kevin, Anash, Eric

on a side note, debugging was a lot easier with CrossClients.  if you
have a single report to download, then you can just check the latest
date in the mysql table you import it into and know that the whole
process went fine.

now you have to check for all of your clients, but if one of the
reports is empty, then it's harder to know if you're missing just a
little bit of the data or there was no data in a report, etc.