In my understanding the type field should never be NULL, it must have a
value. When you encounter this situation again look at the SOAP response
(XML) and see whether the problem is in your code processing the SOAP
response or indeed in the SOAP response itself.
If the problem is indeed the response, then post that response and the
requestID here, so Google can take a look.

Coming back to your question if there's an alternative method, you can look
at reports - at least the criteria report and ad extensions have a column
for the type. They also contain IDs so matching is possible. Unfortunately
the docs for the ad performance report are missing nowadays, so you'll need
a few guesses to get the field name right.