Hi Bhavin,
  In theory, yes, the type should always be returned.  If you can give us
an example of a request/response (with sensitive information removed), it
would help us troubleshoot.  The xsi:type is specified to disambiguate -
for example, for keywords: <criterion xsi:type="Keyword">

- Kevin Winter
AdWords API Team