Hi Nadine!

Sorry for the delay, I didn't get a notification about your reply.

To illustrate further:

We have an example where ValueTrack {placement} reported the following
value: *411092.iphone.com.weather.twcipadmax.adsenseformobileapps.com*.

But the AdWords API reports fields (PlacementPerformanceReport.Criteria,
CriteriaPerformanceReport.Criteria,
AutomaticPlacementsPerformanceReport.DisplayName and
UrlPerformanceReport.domain or url) all returned it as
*mobileapp::1-364252504*.

The only way we were able to figure out the relationship between the two
was because they happened to be our two biggest unmatched fields from each
data set, but we have many other fields that we can't figure out like that.

How can we consistently map *xxxx.adsenseformobileapps.com* from ValueTrack
to *mobileapp::* from AdWords reports?

And just to make things a little more interesting...

Sometimes ValueTrack gives us *xxx.adsenseformobileapps.com* format
placements but other times it gives us in the *mobileapp::* format we can
actually match to the AdWords reports.  So some placements can be mapped
and others can't.

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 11:14:39 AM UTC-4, Nadine Sundquist
(AdWords API Team) wrote:

> [...]
>
> Please try taking a look at those to see if they match what you're seeing.
> If you need further help, feel free to reach out.
>
> Cheers,
> Nadine, AdWords API Team
>
> On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 5:59:07 PM UTC-4, Jonathan Clarke wrote:
>>
>> We've been working successfully with the AdWords API (Google Ads Python
>> Client Library: https://github.com/googleads/googleads-python-lib) for a
>> good while building internal reports for our application. Until, that is,
>> we hit placements…
>>
>> I define placements as anywhere an AdWords ad is shown. The placement
>> might be a domain, page, ad unit, app you name it! Placements are a very
>> broad definition.
>>
>> For our app to work for placements we need to join API spend data with
>> activity on our website.
>>
>> To do this we are running AdWords API reports and then collecting session
>> data using AdWords ValueTrack parameters.
>>
>> The ValueTrack parameters are easy enough, as there seems to be only 1
>> option: `{placement}`.
>>
>> However, it's on the API where things get interesting, the API has
>> numerous options for getting placement data. For example:
>>
>>    -
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/v201708/AdGroupCriterionService.MobileApplication
>>

>>    -
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/url-performance-report
>>    -
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/placement-performance-report#criteria
>>    -
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/automatic-placements-performance-report#domain
>>    -
>>
>> https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/v201708/AdGroupCriterionService
>>
>> After spending some time going back and forth on the various options, and
>> burning lots of dev time, we've come to the conclusion that there must be
>> some best practice advice out there for joining placement data from the API
>> and ValueTrack. One that works for all types of placements, including:
>>
>>  - Websites
>>  - Apps
>>  - AdSense
>>  - Blogspot
>>  - AMP
>>
>> An example of where we are running into a matching problem is "
>> 10060.android.com.nytimes.android.adsenseformobileapps.com"... this is a
>> placement we see coming in from ValueTrack but has no match in any of our
>> spend reports. (In fact there are many many adsenseformobileapps.com
>> traffic sources for which there are no spend items).
>>
>> Also seeing strings like "mobileapp::2-com.mobilesrepublic.appy".  These
>> show up on our spend side but only appear in our ValueTrack around 10% of
>> the time.  Some match.  The vast majority don't.
>>
>> A definitive workflow on this would be SO useful for ourselves and no

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/b8055f4d-92d6-4c98-b9a1-707964bd1b73%40googlegroups.com.
  • Best practice ... Jonathan Clarke
    • Re: Best ... 'Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)' via AdWords API Forum
      • Re: B... Jonathan Clarke
        • R... 'Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)' via AdWords API Forum
          • ... Jonathan Clarke