Hi Sean,

You can refer to this guide
<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/objects-methods#object_id_uniqueness>
 on
how to determine the uniqueness of all AdWords entities. As for your
implementation of pausing ads, we recommend that you first generate the Ad
Performance Report
<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/ad-performance-report>
 so
you could determine the correct (ad) Id
<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/ad-performance-report#id>
 and
the CriterionId
<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/ad-performance-report#criterionid>.

However, you may take note that the CriterionId may or may not be from a
Keyword as other criteria may have also generated the performance data for
that ad.

To ensure that the CriterionId belongs to a keyword, you will need to
include the CriterionType
<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/ad-performance-report#criteriontype>
 field
as this will allow you to determine if it is indeed of type Keyword. Let me
know if this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team