On second thought, making the poor performing keyword negative will also do
a similar thing to  pausing it. In your examples, you show a way to add a
negative keyword, but I dont see an example on how to make an existing
keyword negative. Is there a way to do this?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/71354900-4d24-45cd-affb-6776d9b827e6%40googlegroups.com.