Thanks, that works. However, only if the audience has previously been
created, that is, attached to an ad group, through the UI. Is it possible
to trigger the creation of these auto-created audiences through the API?

Let's say I want an audience named "Sustainability"; if I type that into
the search box in the UI, and hit save, the audience is created and can be
retrieved from the API. However, I would like to omit the UI step
completely, and do the whole process programmatically. Would something like
that be possible?

Cheers,
Mark