I've had a few instances where we had to fix a problem by rebooting a CRS.  It's usually a case where we can reach the management of the switch, but they're not passing traffic from port to port.
I hate "fixing" by rebooting, so I'm a little sour on CRS these days.

I also found setting layer2 stuff was obtuse.  It's simple as hell to add VLAN's in RouterOS, but configuring VLAN's or other layer2 functions in the switch hardware is strangely difficult, and it can be different from one model to another.  I'm not trying to be a wuss about it, but the main draw to Mikrotik (for me) is the consistency of the platform from one hardware device to another.  The switches seem to have departed from that.

On 9/17/2018 10:55 PM, David Coudron wrote:

Of all the devices on our network, we lose Ubiquiti Nanos (our relays for large farm sites), and Netonix switches in our towers the most.   The Cambium equipment can double as a hammer when needed, you almost can’t get em to break.   The Mimosas do OK, but have their share of ethernet port problems.   As Steve mentioned, you expect the Ubiquitis to fail given their price, but the Netonix devices are surprisingly fragile.  If it lightnings in the middle of South Dakota it seems like we are replacing switches in our Minnesota tower cabinets.  I have a box of 8 of them sitting here that have all been replaced.  In the same cabinets we have never replaced one Cambium AP and only 4 Mimosa backhaul radios (we have about 4 to 1 more Mimosas deployed than Netonix).   I am sure there is something that can be replaced on the Netonix, but we just don’t have the time to become Netonix repair guys.

We are seriously looking at the Mikrotik Cloud Router Switch as a replacement for Netonix.   The only issue is getting both 24V and 48V to the device at the same time, but I think we can get that figured out.   Anyone have any practical experience with these they care to share?

Regards,

David  Coudron

**

*From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of * Steve Jones
*Sent:* Monday, September 17, 2018 9:38 PM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Surge suppression failure gigE APC HV

Out of curiously, and this is a real question, how did netonix pick of the market share they did while offering utter garbage? It's not even like they're garbage ubnt cheap, that I understand, I poke the 3 am Ubnt fat girl at the end of the bar regularly, cause she's cheap and fat so not going to be a problem. But netonix is like 90 percent problem from what I read. You never hear about a high maintenance fat chic because there's no interest. How's this tubby broad even in the discussion?