We don't use the calix cloud (consumer connect or whatever its called these
days)

We do run CMS, but I'm not using it with our 844GEs.  It thought this was
possible, but they are really pushing people to pay them for consumer
connect.  We do pay for support which includes CMS and they can be pretty
arbitrary on pricing.  I think they just make it up as they go.

We run a lot of GPON on E7-2s with 844G and GE ONTs.  Easy to allow remote
access from the E7-2 for management if needed.  (We run 844GEs in active
ethernet fiber MDUS to start, then move them over to GPON once we get fiber
to the building or get enough customers in the building to justify an E7-2
and GPON card in the building).  In Active ethernet mode, they are kind of
a PITA.  They will randomly lose their WAN VLAN settings and go back to
their smart activate config.

I have 844Es in the lab,  (shout out to Calix for sending them to me for
free for my lab), and used one at home as a test router for awhile.  Big
drawback of the 844E is that their cloud is expensive and there doesn't
seem to be a free/cheap on-site version like CnMaestro.  Routers do seem to
work better then CnPilots.  We are still using CnPilots for our coper MDU
and CSM customer.  I prefer the performance of the 844E, but their cloud is
too expensive, at least for us (other people have ball parked much better
pricing then they quote us),  and there doesn't seem to be a free/cheap
on-site version like CnMaestro.

You can run them just like a regular router, except that you have a
customer side interface and a provider side interface.

You can create a golden config file and load it onto all your routers if
you have defaults you want.

They do support tr69 so you can roll them into your own management solution
later if you like but you don't have to use it.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 9:52 AM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com> wrote:

> For those of you who’ve successfully deployed Calix:
>

> I’ve been wanting to do something with the 844E and 804 since WISPAmerica
> 2.5 years ago, but I feel like I’m at the starting line of a marathon with
> my feet stuck in buckets full of concrete.
>

> Calix has tons of documentation, and after reading it, I feel about 1%
> smarter.  I don’t know what the end user or a tech sees as an interface for
> analytics and troubleshooting and tweaking settings.  I don’t know if you
> can do a standalone implementation with just the Calix Cloud and some
> Gigacenters and Mesh units, I get the impression you  need to mess with
> APIs and tie into all sorts of operations systems that we don’t have.  I’m
> not even clear on whether we need to set up some kind of on-network TR-069
> server, or if that’s all a cloud service hosted by Calix.
>

> Is the Calix stuff relatively straightforward to use, on a par with
> Cambium cnPilot and cnMaestro Cloud?  And maybe Calix documentation is just
> very confusing or I’m being stupid?  Or are these things pretty complicated
> to incorporate into a WISP network and get all the advantages of the
> devices and cloud management?
>

> I’m trying to decide whether to keep struggling and get more help from
> Calix, or give up.

Carl Peterson

*PORT NETWORKS*

401 E Pratt St, Ste 2553