I get it now, the 48v never changes just the ground reference.

I'm guessing the reason no one uses negative ground loads on a -48 system
is the chassis ground being bonded to the inputs return.

Could I therically isolate my eltek -48 from any ground and operate it as a
negative ground system?

Or if the chassis isn't bonded to either can I just avoid grounding the
supply?