All testing done by many wisp's shows that shaping at the radio/CPE or AP
is about the worst way to do it.

Leads to huge slowdowns when the customer maxes their plan and other weird
issues, maybe like what you're seeing.

I'd recommend shaping at your core, before it hits your backhaul network.
We use preseem and it's a gem