From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> on behalf of Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com>
Date: Monday, December 10, 2018 at 11:10 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group' <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] speedtest.net and Canopy/Cambium QOS / burst bucket

That’s disappointing.  But not surprising about the mid-gain version that looks
like a rearview mirror, the vertical beamwidth is too wide.  I know the CLIP
was not popular, but we actually had very good luck with it.

I’m also struggling with the 450b hi-gain.  The xmt power is supposedly 5 dB
higher but the antenna gain 2 dB less than the original SM with a reflector
dish.  Maybe that’s an improvement if you have a  lot of interference at the AP
end, although a 450m should mitigate that.  I can’t convert everything to small
cells, so 2 dB less antenna gain is not the direction I want to be going.  It
also drives me crazy now with a mix of 450 and 450b SMs on a sector that you
can’t pay attention to the signal power in the Sessions tab.  The 450b SMs have
asymmetric xmt power, so they may look OK, but then you  check the signal at
the SM and it’s often less than expected.

Unfortunately, Cambium intends to discontinue the old SM form factor.  That
means what might have been popping in a new SM becomes replacing the whole dish.

While the 450b hi-gain looks attractive and the radome is nice, I wish Cambium
would just put the new 450b electronics (tri band, more CPU power, higher xmt
power) into the old SM form factor.