On 1/15/19 7:20 AM, Nate Burke wrote:
I think this answers the why question "Some extra grounding was called for as per engineers"  They probably don't actually know why it's needed.

I just involved in a building project involving a 90hp Fire alarm sprinkler pump.  One single power phase kept randomly going to undervoltage and setting the monitoring system into alarm.  The Manufacturer said "We don't know why it's doing it, try adding another ground wire and see what happens"  The Electrician said "That can't fix it, but I'll do it because you said so"  Well, it fixed it, for some reason that nobody really understands or has been able to adequately explain.

It'll eliminate potential difference. Now, exactly what problems that can resolve or that may never be seen is usually random guessing. But, when a voltage potential happens it will go somewhere and undesirable things can happen if that somewhere is a signal line, so you keep it at ground (or equal to the rest of the system).