From: "Mark - Myakka Technologies" <m...@mailmt.com>
To: af@af.afmug.com
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:38:48 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] International cell phone use

I know Chuck has been overseas and maybe some of you others have been
recently. Last time I was overseas there were no cell phones. I'm
trying to figure out my best option for cell phone usage.

So far looks like my best option is to get a data only sim and use
whatsapp. That seems to be working fine for my daughter right now.
We are able to communicate with no issues.

When I connect to WiFi, I should be able to use WiFi calling with my
current number to call back to the states if needed. In the past
using WiFi calling, seems that texts will work also.

So, here is the crazy part. If I get a data only SIM, there will be
no voice connection. Almost like my phone being in airplane mode, but
with data enabled. Will the WiFi calling work on the data only plan?
Will it detect I have data, but no voice and fail over to WiFi
calling.

Anybody ever try this?

--

Thanks,