FWIW,  property tax is typically a local tax, not a state tax.  Illinois does
not have a state property tax, and around 2/3 of property taxes go to fund
school districts.

I still live in the house we bought in 1976.  We added two bedrooms and a
family room after we had kids.  It is not a mansion, but we live in DuPage
County, in a town on one of the commuter rail lines.  My property tax bill is
around $19,000.  More than some neighbors, less than others.  Add the state
taxes, and the $10,000 cap on SALT means I will be paying federal tax on at
least $10K that I didn’t pay tax on last year and that I never received as
disposable income.  My wife died 2 years ago so my standard deduction is $12K
not $24K.  Yes that is higher than last year, but that’s cancelled out by the
personal exemption going away.  I have one kid who lives with me, but that
doesn’t help me with taxes.

Lots of people, especially seniors, are probably in the same situation as me.
If you don’t have a large income so you can pay the substantially higher taxes,
the federal government is essentially telling you that you  have to move out of
your house.  And I think for a lot of people the withholding tax formulas
didn’t properly account for this change.

I think you are oversimplifying this as we’re finally sticking it to the state
governments who spend and tax too much.  In the case of property tax, it’s not
even a state tax.  And it’s not like property taxes were invented yesterday or
during the administration of <fill in whatever President you didn’t like>.
Like I say, I’ve lived here for over 40 years, paid property taxes the whole
time, but I didn’t then also pay income tax on that money that I never got to
spend.  It’s not taking any money away from the state of Illinois, and it has
no effect on the state’s spending or taxing decisions.  It just takes several
thousand dollars out of my wallet.

The other thing I’m going to have to discuss with my accountant is the S Corp
pass through change.  It could be really stupid now for my company to be paying
me a salary, maybe a distribution would be the way to go.  I’m not sure.  I
always tried to do the right thing and pay myself a reasonable salary so the
government could get their various payroll taxes, but maybe I’m being a moron.