I propose a new standard.
+V   purple/grey stripe
gnd   yellow pokadot

On 4/10/19, 4:18 PM, "AF on behalf of Ken Hohhof" <af-boun...@af.afmug.com on
behalf of af...@kwisp.com> wrote:

    I have a couple sites where I used purple or blue for -48, but I have spools
    of red/black zipcord that I use a lot, and I assign red to voltage
    independent of polarity, so that black is ground.  Then even if I use single
    wires, I make red voltage and black return in order to be consistent.

    I think it would be even more confusing to have red be ground and black
    be-48V.  Especially at mixed voltage sites that also have +24V.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Adam Moffett
    Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:08 PM
    To: af@af.afmug.com
    Subject: Re: [AFMUG] DC/DC converter question

    Some people use red for negative on -48V systems.
    I've got a -48V Alvarion Wimax thingamabob with a red and black pigtail
    coming out the back and the red is clearly labeled negative.

    So yeah, can't go by color unless you put that color there.

    On 4/8/2019 3:31 PM, Christopher Tyler wrote:
    > Turns out the whole shelter's bus was wired backwards when we got it. Red
    is negative and black is positive. Not sure what the ground is relative to,
    not sure it really matters at this point but I'll check that out when I go
    out there later myself.