From: AF [mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com] On Behalf Of Chuck McCown
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 4:22 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT Hanoi talkies

Baofeng are hard to program.  They seem to work ok.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 6, 2019, at 2:09 PM, Brian Webster <i...@wirelessmapping.com> wrote:

Technically you are supposed to only use radios on GMRS that have FCC type
certification for GMRS service. Some will say that part 90 certified UHF radios
are allowed to be used in GMRS, I recall that rule was only for radios that
were certified part 90 before the part 95A (I think that’s the section for
GMRS) was set up as a requirement. Now if you aren’t so concerned about that
certification use these. I have quite a few various Chinese radios and I have
never heard of this brand, so personally at that price I would go with a more
known Chinese brand such as Baofeng or Woxoun. Since there are actually still
wide band GMRS channels (not the splinter channels for portable to portable
comms only), I would shop around for some real radios such as Motorola UHF
portables that will be more durable. You should be able to get the old wide
band versions cheap. Likely will need new batteries and maybe antennas but they
should last. Commercial radio services are all narrow band now so wide band
only radios are no longer legal in those services. Sometimes you can find a
nice deal on a set in a gang charger. If you do look at any particular models
ping me off list and I can let you know which models are good and bad to use. I
can point you in the right direction for programming and such as well.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com

www.Broadband-Mapping.com