Same in NY, and I have the same complaints.  Same wire, same product, fake competition.

On 8/21/2019 10:52 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
We have it hear, I thought it was widespread, maybe not.  Transmission is
unbundled from generation.

I find it annoying.  The alternative power companies are always calling to
get you to switch, sometimes with misleading sale tactics.  You hear about
people falling for bait-and-switch pricing where they end up paying more for
their power.  Also many municipalities put out bids and choose an energy
supplier which then applies to all residents (or all businesses) unless they
opt out.

IMHO it's an unnecessary complication.  It's not like gasoline where they
can at least claim to have a better product, electrons are electrons, and
the power is blended anyway.  It's not like the power you get was generated
by the supplier you chose, or that you  will have less outages or better
voltage or something.  It's strictly about price.  Electricity is a
commodity.  I don't want the hassle of choosing a power generation supplier
each year.  It feels just like choosing a health insurance supplier on the
marketplace each year, I look forward to that like a colonoscopy.

I think the power companies like ComEd and Ameren are forced to buy solar
and wind power anyway from those who choose to generate it, so I'm missing
the big benefit.  I seriously doubt this has saved me any money from
"competition".

As far as the question about being a reseller for one of these power
"CLECs", I would avoid it, if only because they are viewed by many people as
kind of shady.  Tricksters with robocalls.  Maybe sell CBD oil instead, that
seems to be all the rage.  Apparently the remaining video rental places
actually exist to sell CBD products.  That must be fun.  Take the kids to
rent a VHS tape and they say "look, Daddy, they have gummies, can we get
some?"