One more thought...

The hard-coded OID tree is sort of what we're doing.   Each 'type' of
module has it's own tree.   For instance, there is a mib tree called
'packetFluxPowerControl' which is for things like PoE injectors, PDU
boards, etc..   There's also a packetFluxGNSS for GPS receivers and the
1PPS which comes from them.   And a packetFluxSensors table for things like
voltage readings on the device itself, or temperatures, etc.

Each tree has a table which contains 'columns' for each of the things you
will find on that type of port, such as power consumption, voltage, control
for the power, etc.    We'll add additional columns as needed.

You have to index this column in some way in SNMP.   Based on past
experience, doing it in a way which is dependent on what else is in the
system causes problems as you add/remove things from the system.   So we
decided to go with a two level 'slot' and 'port' index for each of the
columns.  So 'slot' could actually be re-named to be 'device' as well.

--
- Forrest