When I was a kid, many kids were “nerdy”, “shy”, or “introverted”.  Now they
would be “autistic” or “on the autism spectrum” or have “ASD”.  As anything
with “spectrum” in the name, it can vary from minor to severe.  I think Gino is
right, mental illness is incorrect terminology.

Some employers with boring or repetitive jobs that nonetheless must be done
correctly with attention to detail have found that such people are ideal
employees.  Like watchmakers that found out they didn’t want people with 20/20
vison, they wanted nearsighted people.

The opposite situation is probably all the kids that are diagnosed with ADHD
because teachers don’t want to deal with a kid who won’t sit quietly and shut
up, and the helicopter parents take them to the doctor and put them on Ritalin.
 Because big Pharma has a solution for every problem.  And class size is too
big for teachers to deal with non conforming kids, and who wants to try old
fashioned solutions like sending the kids out for recess to burn off energy.

Strange stuff, like have you noticed how many successful, creative, or big
picture people are dyslexic?