It may end up being purely a wireless game controlled by the big mobile
wireless folks, but there are some trends that we see in our business that are
telling us wireless is going to be a challenge.

  1.  All video (and music) entertainment is headed toward streaming.  Gaming
falls into the high bandwidth, low latency camp as well.
  2.  More and more devices in the home are Internet connected.   Not only TVs
any more, we have appliances, home automation, video security systems, etc.
It isn’t unreasonable to think the average home will have 12-15 devices
connected to the Internet beyond the cell phones.

It seems that a central internet connection will continue to be a necessity for
the average home.   It isn’t likely we’ll see mobile data plans that will be
reasonable enough that someone will pay for 15 different plans.   As mentioned
below, that means that mobile carriers will likely offer some sort of central
connection to the house.   Given that the bandwidth requirement for house is
going to rise with streaming, we are thinking we might see constant demand of
50-80 Mbps, maybe even north of that.   To deliver that to every house, you
need 80 Mhz channels of open spectrum and a fairly low oversubscription rate at
the tower.   And the tower needs to be feed with fiber, or have a heck of a
wireless backhaul connection.   As mentioned below, that means 5G sites likely
on high frequencies, very close to each other, fed by fiber.   It seems like
fiber direct to the premise is about the same thing.

Just musing….

Regards,

David Coudron