I will have to go look at the final rules to see what happened, I forget
exactly.   The original proposal required a new auction every three years.
O’Rielly hated that and managed to get his way with 10 year terms and wanted
substantial service requirements.   WISPA pushed back hard on what ends up
being essentially permanent licenses as the FCC’s history of enforcing
substantial service rules is crap.  The FCC has managed to lose almost every
lawsuit over substantial service rules.  WISPA didn’t succeed in keeping the
shorter license terms but I don’t recall what came of substantial service
rules.  There is something in there.

Mark