Comsearch does something called a “reverse geoplanner”. If you provide them
with the turbine locations and the path details they’ll tell you the risk
of fresnel obstruction.
They’re equipped to do this because they perform the microwave studies for
wind farms.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:43 PM Steve Jones <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a 3 link path i need to turn up in 11ghz. we drove the path
> yesterday. 2 legs are golden. one however is problematic, ive got two wind
> turbines that are in or just outside the fresnel. If it were one, id
> probably be inclined to risk the impact if there was just one turbine, but
> two is iffy without some good maths to support it.
> The path is 5.5 miles
> the first turbine is 3.64 mile
> the second is about 4.69 miles
> Fresnel is about 25' radius at that distance max if the calculator is right
> the first turbine is maybe 100' from boresite
> the second is probably 150'
> These arent our normal turbines, these the the bad motherfucker turbines,
> so the blades are like a million feet long, actually IIRC theyre 224' on
> something like a 400' pedestal.
>
> I need to pull the specs again on those and get better than google earth
> GPS coordinates on the potential end points, and some better actual heights
>
> that brings be to the question, how do i calculate a partial fresnel
> obstruction with a radius like the blade pattern.
>
> I figure boresite view with a 50' circle would give me worst case fresnel,
> then i just draw the arc of the turbine path into that as an obtruction for
> each maybe just shade the polygon it create as a complete obstruction.
>
> So once i have that info, what tool can i put it into to calculate the
> impact? everything we use just has an obstruction height. Would i be able
> to just take the distance from edge of fresnel into the furthest point of
> the polygon? Would I need to calculate more loss than that?
>
> Im planning on sticking a 5ghz link up anyway pending licensing, so i
> assume i can just extrapolate the loss from that

Eric Nielsen
571-508-7409
ericlniel...@gmail.com