Chuck, do you require drug tests, at least of new hires?   Often someone who
does something that stupid (throw away a paying job for some quick cash) has a
drug habit.

From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Jaime Solorza
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2020 4:15 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT People

You did your best...you can live with that...you are a good man.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 2:25 PM <ch...@wbmfg.com <mailto:ch...@wbmfg.com> > wrote:

Had to fire a guy today.  He had a checkered past.  Drugs, prison etc.

I gave him a shot, lots of training, (at least now he can have a career, he was
doing asbestos removal when I hired him).

Seems that he shoplifted at one of our favorite supply houses.

They had eyes on him when he went in, security footage of him standing by a
rack of stuff and when he turned away things were gone.

The front of his coat was bulging when he left.

He visited the john, after he left they went in there and found some tags etc
etc etc.

I told them I would pay for the stuff.  They sent me an itemized bill with the
exact stuff he took.

Of course he wasn’t there, didn’t do it, didn’t steal, thought about stealing
this stuff but didn’t do it.

Wrongly accused, can he talk to the vendor etc etc.

I first found out when the vendor called me and told me he is permanently
banned from their place.

He was a parolee.  We even removed a bullet from his back that the cops had put
there.

It was bothering him and he could not get anyone to cut it out.  He didn’t want
to spend the money to do it right.

So one evening after work he was complaining about it to the crew.

My son the mechanic scrubbed up, got out the betadyne, scalpel, forceps and out
it came.

(howz that for a company health plan).

I have hired a bunch of guys like him over the years.  It rarely works out.  I
have written letters to judges, hired lawyers, got sentences reduced, got
people sprung from jail.

Very few figure out how to leverage the chances I have given.

Sucks losing the training time I have invested...

Sucks losing an employee that knows how to do some valuable things.

Sucks seeing humans continue to screw up their lives.

About 20 years ago I was complaining about this same thing to someone.

I told him I was not going to do this anymore.

He said: “yes, you will keep doing it”.  Nope, done.

I guess he was right, I kept doing it.  I will probably do it again.  I think I
am an idiot sometimes.