Yes, Depends on what your load is.  At home I'm using a SmartUPS3000 with 120AH batteries.  It runs everything in my home office, plus the waterheater/furnace (heat only).  It's on a transfer switch to plug the portable generator into it for an extended outage.  Luckily I'm on all underground utilities, knock on wood, have had 1 power outage in the 15 years we've lived here.

On 3/29/2020 8:33 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:

What are you going to run off it, and what run time do you need?  It matters if you are running electronics or a sump pump, and if you just want enough time to save your work or if you want to keep working for a couple hours.  Also most people have battery operated laptops and tablets now which changes the UPS strategy.

Another factor is if it’s in a location where fan noise would be bothersome.  I’ve had good luck with Tripp Lite SU750XL, it is dual conversion, replaceable battery, and Powerpole connector for external extended runtime battery.  But the fan runs all the time and it would probably drive you crazy in a bedroom or home office.  And if your electronics aren’t fussy about the quality of the input power, dual conversion is probably an expensive overkill.

*From:* AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> *On Behalf Of *Colin Stanners
*Sent:* Sunday, March 29, 2020 7:43 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Good Home UPS

We've seen many people use the APC Back-UPS series for a long time without issues. Older models had replaceable batteries and will often work fine with a new battery; they don't have a calibration command so it's good to put a light load (30-50%) and let them run down to empty once or twice so that they recalibrate themselves to the new battery.

Some new Back-UPS models don't have the replaceable batteries.