Tin foil hat on.
The people this is lethal to are the most expensive members of society to
maintain. Eliminating that cost and resource drain makes a nation super
efficient. Especially if you simply let them die.
If a nation like china were preparing for conflict, that would be an ideal
prior act.
Almost every other global nation of merit will do everything they can to
save all those people. Including decimating production, shorting the food
supply chain and bankrupting the economy.
If I were a rogue nation like china, I'd attack the hobbled US within the
year