“Signal” and “Connection” are two of the most problematic words as far as not
meaning the same thing to customers as to tech support people.

Like if customer says I have no signal, I figure they must be talking about no
WiFi signal because they specifically used the word signal.  But often they are
using the word “signal” to mean “Internet”.  So if Facebook or Netflix doesn’t
work, they have no signal.

Then there are the people who complain they only have 1 bar of signal so we
need to come out and adjust their antenna.  But they are looking at the
Ethernet port lights on the router and thinking those are WiFi bars.  This
happens a lot with Mikrotiks which have the 1-5 LEDs on top.

Same with the word connection.  I have no connection, I can’t get connected.
Is their device telling them no connections are available?  Like when they same
I’m not on my phone.  What does it mean to be “on” your phone?

At least Internet Explorer is pretty much gone.  People used to tell us they
were clicking on “the Internet”, I think usually they meant Internet Explorer.
Now they say they use Google, and we’re not sure if they mean Chrome, or they
are searching with Google (many people don’t know how to enter a web address).

Then there’s “I am trying to log onto the Internet”.  Wait, are you entering
login credentials like a username and password?  Is this your Windows login?
Gmail?  Often they don’t really mean log in, just do something, like go to a
webpage.  So

Log in = do something

Don’t get me going on the symbols on home routers.  The sparkler is on, the
tadpole is off …