Say your revenue is $1M per year, but your net income is –$250K.  What is that
worth?
Negative amounts.  You would probably have to pay someone to buy it.

Another company has revenue of $1M.  Net income of +250K year after year.  What
is it worth.
At least $1M.

These are income base approaches.  There are net asset based/cost approaches.
They attempt to value the fair market value of the assets.

And there are market approaches.  What is your book worth.

You really have to look at all three.  Back in the day when I was doing lots of
acquisitions I would give you $250-$500 per customer (market approach) and
$1000 per customer if it was a good Canopy network (combination of Market and
Asset approach).  But that is because we had some pretty expert knowledge on
what those were worth.  The ebidta approach (net income) was somewhat worthless
because many of these guys either milked the companies dry or were simply bad
at business.

But if they do have a nice EBIDTA year after year, you can make an offer based
on that alone believing you can operate as well or better than they did.  But
you really need to look at all three methods and analyze the potential changes
in the competition picture etc.

But there is NO valuation method that only looks at revenue.  People with
crappy companies will try to tell unsophisticated potential buyers that a 1X or
2X revenue is “the standard way” to value a business.  BS.