I know compassess are not the greatest especially around lots of
steel.  I was thinking we could hold it a few feet from the tower on
top to get a bearing on a landmark.

The way I currently do it is draw a line on google earth and find a
landmark in one of the directions I need.  It's fairly easy after
aiming one sector based on a landmark to sight 90 degrees off of it to
find another landmark for other sectors.  A square is occasionally
helpful.  Issue is occasionally that landmark you thought would be
easily visible is not that identifiable from tower top.  I just wanted
something cheap, easy and could always be in the toolbox.