Hi Ryan,

This is probably going deeper than what I should be talking about with
confidence as our router guys set it up.   But, what we do is any device that
requests an IP Address that does not have a DHCP reservation in the DHCP server
gets assigned what we call a Penalty Box address.   We set up a Penalty Box
subnet for each tower router (have to do this for any router that gets DHCP
requests) on our central DHCP server and any request coming from one of the
downstream routers gets a Penalty Box address in the subnet we set up for the
downstream router getting the DHCP request.  So we have a bunch of Penalty Box
subnets (100.64.x.x range) and since they aren’t routable, folks can’t get to
the Internet with a Penalty Box address.   They get a standard (Your account
isn’t set up, call us) message.  We know if we see assigned addresses in the
Penalty Box space that something is attached that is set up wrong in Sonar, or
shouldn’t be attached to our network.

Otherwise, every device is set up on Sonar with their correct MAC and a
dynamically assigned IP in Sonar.  This is written to the DHCP server on the
Mikrotik, we just need to do this before plugging in the equipment at the
customer or it will grab a Penalty Box address first.  This happens quite often
it isn’t in Sonar before being installed and gets a Penalty box assignment, we
just delete that Penalty Box assignment after it is set up in Sonar and then
reboot the device to force a new DHCP request and everything is good.

It takes a little work to set up at first, but after that it has really been
working well.   The guys at Linktechs set it up for us.   We like it because it
definitively tells us that the IP in Sonar is accurately tied to the right
piece of equipment and then we know all of our monitoring, etc is accurate.
We also know that folks can’t be attaching their own equipment to our network
this way, as they won’t have service.   The security of it could probably be
better with VLANs, but this is pretty simple and works well.   If you want to
dig deeper let me know and I can set up a screen share some time and show you
the routers where this is set up.

Thanks,

David Coudron