VMs are a great way to go depending on the job(s) you need to do. As it happens a lot of jobs (e.g. DNS) are not particularly compute intensive, so it's a great way to stretch resources. We find we can run 3 or 4 virtual machines on each physical machine.

We used VMware from the get-go, but did not get many of the paid-for bells and whistles. VMware can become pretty expensive, where other solutions (e.g. Proxmox) has an advantage because of open source.

The other consideration is containers, which can be thought of as VM-lite. Containers provide almost all of the advantages of VMs with a significantly lighter load on the hardware. As a result, you can load up more applications on less hardware. The leading contender in the container space is Kubernetes and it's also open source.

Pick your poison with someone you know who can go over your requirements.