Something has to be going on to account for the seeming increase in both
severity and quantity of peanut allergies.

I am personally allergic to both peanuts and tree nuts.   In my case it was
apparently  pretty obvious when my mother fed me my first and only peanut
butter sandwich.  She says that by the time she had put the peanut butter
jar away in the kitchen and had returned to the dining room,  not only had
I got it all over my face but my eye had mostly swollen shut.

I'm fortunate that my response is isn't as strong as others.  I can
tolerate it being in the room although I am definitely not a fan of strong
nuts smell.   If bite info something which has nuts in it I typically know
right away as I have a very quick histamine reaction although it's not
strong enough to cause any severe issues.

If I eat something with a lower concentration sometimes I'll not notice it
untill I've eaten a fair amount,  in which case I find a prescription
strength dose of benadryl will arrest any long term reaction.  I'd prefer
not to repeat the experience I had of a kindergarten school lunch exposure
where they used peanut oil in the bun for a sloppy joe.   Being in
kindergarten they served me half a bun open face, and the minor amount of
oil in that bun caused a head to toe rash the next day.

As I'm sure is the case with others with allergies,  I read a lot of labels
and avoid foods which I don't know the safety of.   For example I generally
avoid the dessert table at conferences.   It really isn't a big deal,  it
just means I have to be more cautious when eating.  About the only place I
find it really bothers me is when traveling internationally as I'm not
familiar with a lot of the food and the language barrier causes problems
for me when I'm trying to determine if there are any applicable allergens
in my food.