Sadly we're literally not allowed to own it.  It's a USDA "ReConnect" grant.  The grant awardee is the muni.  USDA will have a hand on the wheel and their contract will literally not allow anyone but the awardee to own the network.

We could potentially buy the network afterwards with USDA approval, but I'm told it's an uphill battle to get approved.

It might be possible to structure the agreement so the muni owns it on paper and we have full control in reality.  But whatever agreement we make has to be approved by the USDA.  I might have to get them on the horn and see what they'd prefer.

On 10/13/2020 3:05 PM, Steven Kenney wrote:
It'll start out like most marriages.  That should be all you need to know.  I'd keep an eye on the divorce rates :)  In my case I have the perfect wife.. but dealing with municipalities and government you can expect your wife to be a "Karen".

I'd ensure you own the fiber and have access to work on the fiber.  But guarantee them X amount of bandwidth over X period of time, you'll provide the labor and monitoring for all their connections.  Get it in front of a lawyer.  If shit goes downhill you both will be covered.  Just make sure any future projects with them won't get squashed.

logo <https://www.wavedirect.net/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ruralhighspeed> <https://www.instagram.com/wave.direct/> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/wavedirect-telecommunication/> <https://twitter.com/wavedirect1> <https://www.youtube.com/user/WaveDirect>
        *STEVEN KENNEY *
DIRECTOR OF GLOBAL CONNECTIVITY & CONTINUITY A: 158 Erie St. N | Leamington ON
E: st...@wavedirect.org | P: 519-737-9283
W: www.wavedirect.net

*From: *"Adam Moffett" <dmmoff...@gmail.com>
*To: *"af" <af@af.afmug.com>
*Sent: *Tuesday, October 13, 2020 2:36:13 PM
*Subject: *[AFMUG] public-private fiber models

Anybody have direct experience with public-private partnerships as far
as what works and what doesn't?

I'm discussing with a county gov that has funding to build a network,
and they're open to almost anything.  The nature of their funding
requires that they own the network.  The nature of their knowledge level
is that they have no idea how to be the network owner.  So essentially
it has to be a public-private partnership of some type.

My first thought was we could lease fiber miles from them and own the
electronics.  They keep the lease payments in a fund which they use to
pay for repairs.  We could do repairs and send them bills based on an
agreed upon fee schedule.

Naturally I'd prefer exclusive access and I'm sure they'd prefer open
access.  I think my biggest argument in favor of exclusive access is
when you have a problem there's only one throat to choke.