Run fiber. Goes farther, does not conduct.

On 10/15/2020 10:12 AM, Colin Stanners wrote:
We have a rural tower site where the owner has a few houses on the property, they ran conduit and cat5e between the houses and the tower so the houses could get Internet access.

But.... with the size of the property and the tower being a big metal structure, that caused some voltage / ground imbalances that fried gear at the houses after storms, I believe even through surge supressors (hich are made to protect against single high-voltage direct strikes).

We put in some electrical isolation using copper-fiber-copper converters / switches at the tower, those worked until the winter: when it got to -30 outside the FiberStore SFPs were unhappy.

Does anyone have good cold-weather solutions? Or were we just unlucky with those SFPs and should try something else in the cold?