For backhaul we were just going to use a Ubiquiti PtP we have laying around, which is 24v but otherwise I think most gear we would use for production is 48v. So a 48v system seems to make the most sense. Trade-offs between 12v/24v/48v storage was my main interest. Such as monitoring for weak/dead batteries in multi-battery configuration, losses in up/down converters, etc.

So basically this is to get some real world experience with solar systems and TVWS (initial tests have been positive).

Thanks.

At 02:32 PM 1/12/2021, you wrote:
Yeah, in this case, it's easy to access, and I needed to get it online quick, so I just threw what I had on there. If it was a difficult site to access, I wouldn't do that.

Once you get up to a certain size of system, it probably is going to make sense to go the generator route with smaller batteries. Those batteries are eventually going to need to be replaced, and the difference might pay for a generator, and give you better reliability.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:22 PM Chuck McCown via AF <<mailto:af@af.afmug.com>af@af.afmug.com> wrote: To me, it all depends on accessibility. If you can get there with a generator you can make do with smaller batts. Better yet put in a small propane powered generator with either a low voltage relay for starting or telemetry for starting.Â
From: Mathew Howard
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 12:15 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Solar/Battery for Micro-PoP
Since we're talking about a relatively small system, I would base whether to do a 24v or 48v system on what the majority of the load is going to be. If it's going to be like 70% 24v gear, I'd go with 24v, but otherwise, I'd probably lean towards 48v.
Bill's numbers look about right for what you'd want for a system that you aren't going to need to worry about. If you're not opposed to the risk of maybe occasionally needing to go out and swap out some batteries in the middle of winter, and that sort of thing, it's possible to do it with a smaller system. We have a micropop with a roughly 10-12 watt load running on 200 watts of solar panel and ~5KWH of lead acid batteries (that happened to be what I had on hand at the time... there wasn't any logic involved in picking that size)... so far it seems to be surviving the Wisconsin winter.