Thanks,  don't think i'll get one now.

On 2/21/21 6:24 AM, Mark Radabaugh wrote:
This unit in particular: https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-4000 <https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-4000> which we have on a splicing trailer.

Unit has no oil filter or low oil shutdown.  So the first time someone doesn’t check the oil level it grenades itself.

For $1000 you can get a new engine for it - but the generator end is for all intents and purposes permanently stuck to the crankshaft.   Ended up having to use a die grinder to demolish the old crankshaft to get the generator off.

Starter solenoid has failed at least twice in 1000/hours.

Fuel pump has failed once.

Carburetor linkage wore itself out and fell off the carb.  Only choice for parts is complete replacement carb for $600.

Very loud unit

I have an Onan generator in a Motorhome.   At least that one has a low oil shutdown and oil filter, but it has always surged badly and quits randomly.  It’s on it’s second fuel pump in about 600 hours.    Output breaker trips from vibration or bumps while driving.

Our newer splice truck has this model:

https://www.cummins.com/generators/cummins-quiet-gas-generators <https://www.cummins.com/generators/cummins-quiet-gas-generators>   It’s reasonably quiet, has low oil shutdown and a filter. Made it about 25 hours before it had to go in for service for a entirely new wiring harness because it would randomly shut down.

Mark