This may be a pedantic difference, but it's an important one: You haven't been to low earth orbit unless you accelerated to 17,000mph or so.  You might have visited the edge of orbital altitude at some point, but you weren't "in orbit" unless you also achieved the required Delta-V.

Geosync is quite a bit further than low orbit.  26,000 miles or so, and you have to go even faster to stay there.

I have no idea what the rules are for owning a satellite.  I doubt there's any rent, but getting the speed is expensive enough to be a barrier to entry for almost anyone.