I'm having a hard time believing their lawyers actually made that argument,
since I don't see anything on the internet about it, and if that actually
happened, it should be in every article about the incident. It is true that
she initially only wanted $20k to cover medical expenses, but that all
changed as soon as she got lawyers involved.

But why doesn't anybody question why it is that McDonald's keeps serving
coffee that hot? My guess is that they get a lot of complaints if they
lower the temperature... which means that, although it may not be fit for
consumption that way, it most likely is what their customers want/demand.