We have done splices and couplers wrapped in tape and mastic. Many fail
after a certain amount of time so our new policy is a cut cable means a new
cable run to somewhere so there's no buried splices. All splices must be
above ground so there's never 24/7 moisture.

Be sure to bill the customer for their mistake. Every time we've tried to
do a quick fix, it turns into the long, correct fix later down the road. So
we stop doing quick fixes and only do the right thing at the time of the
service call. It will cost less to do one visit instead of two and save you
time, and the customer frustration with two visits.

A typical cable cut when we have to replace cable and conduit is 2-3 hours
and we bill about $300-400 depending on materials. Make it costly so they
don't do it again.