It's certainly not an exact number.  They use statistics to try to determine how many people died prematurely from a condition that was caused or exacerbated by air pollution.  If you have 1000 people living in LA and 10 of them die from mesothelioma, and out of 1000 people living in Kansas only 1 dies from mesothelioma then you know there's some kind of difference between these populations.  The math in statistics gets pretty intense, but the short version is you can look at factors that you know cause mesothelioma (smoking, asbestos, radon, etc) and try to control for all those factors until you're left with an amount of difference that can reasonably be attributed to the smog in LA. Then do the same with emphysema, asthma, etc.

I can't imagine how they separate air pollution from coal, oil, and gas though.  That seems way fuzzier.