Nothing like getting an understanding of the situation than trying out the shoes.  Work with her for a couple days, find out first person what is going on.  Sometimes it's the boss who is the problem.

On 7/28/21 10:42 AM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
After visiting with her about the issues, I would ask her how she thinks you should solve the problem.
She might surprise you.

You could have her find and hire someone to share the job duties. She might be more considerate of a coworker if it was her that made the selection.  Or she could turn into maniac micro manager too.

My experience is that a problem employee rarely changes the problem behavior.  And when you finally get around letting them go, no matter how painful, you wonder why you didn't do it years ago.

You could simply hire a person and have her "train her replacement".  Like she needs vacation time so someone needs to be backup.  She will get the hint.  If she pitches a fit, wish her well in her future search for happiness.  If she begrudgingly trains up the replacement, you have an immediate plan B for the future.  I think I would do this in any case.

-----Original Message----- From: Matt Hoppes
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 11:32 AM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: [AFMUG] Employee Handling

I've got a situation and looking for advice on how to best handle it.

I have an employee who is very detail oriented and does a great job of
organizing things and keeping scheduling running smoothly for the most part.

However, at times she has expressed that she feels overwhelmed if there
are too many leads coming in and trying to keep them straight - so as a
result at times we have deployed slower than I would like.

We really should hire an additional customer service person, but two
people we've had have left because of her attitude towards them (she can
be blunt, and at times has mood swings).

She basically runs our billing and customer service departments, and
I've given her authority to do that, but when I make suggestions on
things we should or shouldn't be doing she gets very upset about it.

Right now we're working on some expansion projects and she has expressed
various concerns/reasons we shouldn't do things that I think we should do.

I hesitate to throw out the baby with the bath water, but the behavior
needs to change and thus far I've been unsuccessful at changing this
behavior.

I plan to have a frank conversation with her in the next few days, but
I'm curious to hear thoughts from others on something like this. How do
I best allow autonomy of the department she's managing while also
keeping in mind I sign the paychecks.