Comma separated lists are how you import documents into Excel and other spreadsheets and databases.  She may be using those lists for such a purpose.  Missing comma could be screwing up half her day in extra work.  Try spending a day doing her job with her and then evaluate the situation.  her job sounds critical for smooth operations of your business, don't be cavalier

On 7/28/21 11:42 AM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
The most important thing I got out of business school (from one of the other students, not the school) was "management by telling".  You gotta tell people, in fairly crystal clear pointed language, exactly what the problem is and what they need to change.

No hinting, no hoping, no telling others with the hope word will get around. If it is a difficult thing, write out a script to go by.  Don't wing it. Some people do not have enough of an asshole quotient to follow through on their own.

If I realize that I am avoiding eye contact with an employee, I know that I have to have the discussion.  And they are probably on their way out.

There was a memorable scene in "Rocket Boys" where Homer's father was faced with an employee the screwed up.  Homer expected his dad to fire the guy. The dad explained that you have to tell a man what he did wrong if you expect him to change.  No point in firing someone unless you have told them what they did wrong and then didn't change.

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Webster
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 12:10 PM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Employee Handling

Remember that it's human nature to resist change. When you make suggestions there is change for her even if you don't see it. She may have some form of anxiety and deals with it by thinking everything out in her head for the day
at the start of every day. If you go in and change what she had already
thought out and coped with for her day, it creates major stress for her even if she doesn't realize it. The best managers recognize that everyone has a certain level of bad reaction to change, be it planned or unplanned. Helping
people process the change always helps the workflow and workplace vibe.
Simple things like saying "I know you had this planned for today but we need
to do this instead" (and then tell them you realize that will cause them
delay on the other work) and being ok with it pushing the other tasks out,
will go a long way in realizing they don't have to do BOTH things at the
same time. You being reasonable about the change is something they likely
aren't prepared to hear from you. People have a strange way of adding
pressure to their lives without realizing it.

Good managers also know when not to make changes even if they would do
things differently. In the end if their process works for them and it causes no issues with the business, what should you care how they do it? You aren't actually doing the work, so don't you micromanage their work process. That has a way of pissing a person off, where they think hell they don't do any of this why should they be changing it. If you have to change for accounting
reasons or because other processes farther down the line are affected (in
this case maybe regulatory filings or shipping information off to external accountants), then tell them why you NEED to make the change, then show them
or tell them where it's affecting the farther processes. Sometimes they
don't look at the whole picture, just their own tasks at hand. The change
can then be easier to handle since it has a real purpose. Also sharing the whole process sometimes lets employees think about things more and they may
offer up suggestions as well that improve things.

When it comes to the additional hire, talk to the existing person. Ask her what tasks consume the most time in her day and what seems to create timing
pressures for her. Ask her what process or task she might like relief or
help for. Then create the new position for those specific tasks and it might make her realize you are doing this for her relief. If she insists she can do it all, tell her you are concerned for her stress and happiness at work and you want to take pressure off. Get her used to the idea she doesn't have
to be superwoman or that she needs to do it all and be responsible for it
all. She likely has never had the time to think about it that way, nor does
she realize that the company is getting bigger and she needs to shift and
split some of her duties based on that. Try to include her in this process.
If she still has attitude problems then at least you tried to do it the
right way and she just couldn't adapt, then  as Chuck said it's time for her to move on and learn from her perspective and attitude at another place of
employment.

About the backup person or train your replacement, I would institute a
company policy that says at least one other person in every job needs a
second person who knows roughly how to do their duties. I would explain like this, if a person cannot be sick for a day or two or take vacation, you have
failed as management by making one  irreplaceable and cause the company
major hardship if they are out for a few days. This also applies to
yourself. Everyone needs a break from time to time and that includes knowing
things will be ok if you take a few days off. You will kill yourself with
being worried or overworked in the long run without making that a policy and
actually sticking to it.

Thank you,
Brian Webster
www.wirelessmapping.com