We put a surge protector on both ends when we did this.  Each one grounded to the ground rod on it's respective building.

Before we did that we'd blow switch ports with every lightning storm.  After we did that no more blown ports.  Maybe Bill's way works too, but one SS or two SS is not that big a difference in cost.

Fiber with media converters would eliminate any question of how to ground it.  Get a 1000ft pull box of 12F drop cable and get it terminated.  If you have the equipment this isn't much harder than copper Ethernet.  If you don't have the equipment then you pay somebody who does.