I'll bet the people who would know about this would be the HFT guys.

On 9/9/21 10:04 AM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
Yeah, I wonder how tight the timing is?  I also wonder what kind of packets come out of the photo detectors.  If you could take the raw baseband data and directly modulate it without any layer 234 type of stuff, you might be able to replicate it.  Essentially photon to rf then back to photon.
*From:* Ryan Ray
*Sent:* Thursday, September 9, 2021 10:33 AM
*To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] extending Calix GPON via RF
I'd have to imagine the timing would get considerably screwed up and you'd end up with rogue ONT errors constantly. On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 9:23 AM Chuck McCown via AF <af@af.afmug.com> wrote:

    Not saying you could convey a full gpon traffic load.  But if you
    could just have a few ONTs stretched out there via RF it would be
    very handy.  It seems pretty simple as a block diagram.  Just a
    pair of the ONT SFPs and then convert that to ethernet.  As long
    as the timing was tight enough I think it would work.  Have to
    make sure to limit the rate on the ONT to not be able to swamp the
    channel.  Not sure if that is done in the ONT or not on  GPON
    system.  If not an external switch with rate limiting would have
    to be used.
    I would guess there is too much latency to keep the system happy.
    Pretty sure the ONT transmit timing is some kind of polling system
    and probably expects microsecond response times.  That would have
    to be spoofed probably .  I wonder if the ONT receiving is
    essentially a tagging scheme with no sync issues to worry about.