Kind of like the 5-1/4" floppies of yesteryear. If all the tolerances line up the wrong way, they technically could not work.

On 9/30/2021 1:36 PM, Adam Moffett wrote:

Heh, "fiber demons."

A few months back I swapped a cable between an old Cisco X2 card and a patch panel and the port wouldn't link up.  Cleaned and checked everything, ran the OTDR, tried another cable, nothing worked.

Then I put the old patch cable back in and it linked right up.  Switched back and forth, tried the new patch cable on a different interface.  Everything checks out except this one port won't link unless this one cable.

I still don't know what that's all about.  Maybe the port and the connectors are both at the same extreme end of dimensional tolerances.

....or maybe it's those "fiber demons" you mention.

-Adam