Just to clarify I'm also OK with middle mile projects.

I just would like to see that whatever we build with taxpayer dollars is
able to be used by all.    There are a few countries which have adopted
this model with good success.   That is, the government one way or another
subsidizes the build of the actual fiber infrastructure.  The government
has standards that make it easy for companies to utilize this
infrastructure (such as frequent breakout points, sufficient backbone
strands, last mile architectures which support multiple technologies, etc)

Then, any provider who wants to provide service just needs to locate gear
in the right spots and not worry about the fiber build.

The costs of the build are amortized over the life of the plant so it
doesn't turn into a 'cheaper to build our own' situation.